Monday, July 20, 2009

Break Down

I woke up this morning to sounds of banging and power tools underneath my head. At first I assumed it was one of the bunks around me, seeing as a few members of our crew's girlfriends are out with us at the moment. I ignored it and fell back asleep, but woke up an hour later to the same sounds. It's a day off, and yes I was so tired from the last week I confused the sound of an air drill with people fucking.



Anyway, I walked up to the front of the bus to find out at some point last night the BRAKES just stopped working. I was told this very casually, and I asked Radar how he handled it. "Oh I just coasted on in to that gas station over there. I coulda used the air brakes, but you all woulda wound up crumpled up at the foot of your bunks."

It's a little scary to think about. The brakes just stopped working last night. I could have woken up broken, paralyzed, or dead, but I just slept right through it. Not to be too dramatic, but the last thing I could have done in life was eat pizza and ride my bike across a parking lot. Now we're all sitting in the front lounge, talking about other bands on the tour and watching TV, waiting for the bus to get fixed. How often does this happen? How often are we this close to careening off the side of the highway and not waking up? Thank goodness Radar is our driver. Above quite a few people, I would trust him with my life.



Sorry I haven't blogged in a little while. My girlfriend, Julie, was out on tour with us for a week, so I was distracted. It's great having someone from my real life come hang out in my touring world, I found out. She really enjoyed experiencing what this is like, and I appreciated being offered a different perspective on these things that maybe I have started to take for granted. I had a conversation about this the other day when someone asked me what it's like touring so much. I don't pretend that my job is very hard, and I am constantly grateful that I found a place in this world that allows me to support myself through two things I love, music and traveling. Though, like any other job, doing this day in and day out can give it a certain level of monotony. After a couple weeks of this tour in particular, I begin to wake up and look outside and say, "oh look at that, another parking lot." Having a positive, open minded, amazing person like Julie come out for a while is like a slap in the face. It reminded me how many opportunities I have every day, and how awesome what I'm doing is. I only wish she could have stayed out longer!

That said, this last week has been like the previous ones. Our day off in Pittsburgh one week ago was pretty awesome, thanks in large part to Justin. I got myself and Julie a hotel room, and as I was struggling through multiple travel web sites, staring at $200+ per night rates, Justin sat down and starting looking shit up. He went on Price Line, and long story short found me a room at the fucking Hilton, right on the corner of downtown Pittsburgh, for next to nothing. We also ate at an amazing Indian restaurant on Justin's recommendation, but besides that just ran errands and chilled the rest of the day.

Highlights from this week-

-Watching the new Harry Potter after the show in Scranton. It was good, though I started falling asleep half way through. It was out of pure exhaustion though, the movie was great.

-Seeing my friends Alex and J in Buffalo. I love Buffalo, NY. I spend a good amount of off time there. Alex, J, and my other friend there Sheena have an amazing band (honestly one of my favorite bands out there) called Lemuria. Check them out!!!

-Biking from Camden, NJ, to Philadelphia for vegetarian cheese steaks. Then, later, throwing merch into bins, while holding the tent so it wouldn't fly away, trying not to get anything wet in the sudden storm. The Gallows tent went flying and broke in half upon landing. Marc has the hardest job on this tour, that's for sure.

-This-



-Everything I did with Julie. She's awesome.



I think we still have 5 hours of fixing and traveling before we get to Boston. I'm antsy, I like Boston a lot, was really hoping to check out some record stores and eat delicious food. Right now my options are Dunkin' Donuts and Cracker Barrel. Well, see you in Mansfield (I hope).

Kisses,
Max



11 comments:

Tommy Savaria said...

Confused between an air drill and people f***ing? Didn't know it was actually possible. Anyway, can't wait for you to come to Canada!

KillBoY said...

Sounds like you've got one hell of a driver there.

Thanks for the update Max :)

Will

Adelleda said...

HAHAHA! What a great blog! And Harry Potter! Yes! Awesome!

Holly said...

Haha, poor Gallows tent!

Sunset Bound said...

Glad your safe!

BibleBeltAtheist

Amanda said...

hey i just wanted to say that your band is one of the greatest ive ever known. I love you guys. :D

Anonymous said...

Where is max???

Baptiste said...

The G20 is in Pittsburgh in september...

You'll be in Germany in november for the 20th anniversary of the fall of the wall (will you play "Bring Down Their Wall Again"?)...

Copenhague's summit in december...

Just about it...

Much love...
Much respect...

Baptiste said...

Just think about it...

Just Friends said...

Extremely lovely! :)

The insightful fresh posts keep me coming only here very frequently. you've got an inspiring blog, keep going! You often write very interesting articles. You improved my mood. You should definately write more about this! And I want to say that I constantly invstigating online for tips that could be benefited for me! And I found your entry interesting do I’ve added a Trackback to it on my weblog …… Thanks so much. Check my blog plz.

http://vanstrainers.blogspot.com/
http://bootsshoesuk.blogspot.com/
http://etniesshoesuk.blogspot.com/

Etnies Shoes | Vans Trainers | Boots Shoes

Cheap Flights To Africa said...

I like the presentation of the post.